I came across this idea on Pinterest from http://thehoneycombhome.com/diy-mason-jar-coasters/.
I thought they were pretty awesome so I decided I would give them a try. I purchased a box of the wide mouth lids
She used black chalkboard paint and a white chalk marker. I used what I had on hand. If I were to do it again, I would use all patio paint as I think it would be more durable, but what I used is working just fine.
I gave the inner lid parts 2 coats of paint.
I then stenciled on the numbers with the white paint.
I sealed them with 3 coats of the Modge Podge and then used a hot glue gun to attached the lids to the outer rings. Update: while using one of my coasters, I realized it had a milky white film (like the modge podge looks before it dries) I googled this and found where some people said this happened to them when they got something wet that had Modge Podge on it, while others said they got a long fine, maybe it’s the brand I don’t know. So I thought perhaps if I applied polyurethane to it that would solve the problem. I applied 3 coats and yes it did solve the problem. So next time I will skip the Modge Podge when making coasters and just use the polyurethane.
Loved how they turned out and am enjoying using them!